Re: Great Bridge benchmark results for Postgres, 4 others - Mailing list pgsql-general

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: Great Bridge benchmark results for Postgres, 4 others
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Steve Wolfe wrote:

> > 1) Using only ODBC drivers.  I don't know how much of an impact a driver
> can
> > make but it would seem that using native drivers would shutdown one source
> > of objections.
>
>   Using ODBC is guaranteed to slow down the benchmark.  I've seen native
> database drivers beat ODBC by anywhere from a factor of two to an order of
> magnitude.

I haven't had a chance to take a look at the benchmarks yet, having just
seen this, but *if* Great Bridge performed their benchmarks such that all
the databases were access via ODBC, then they are using an
'apples-to-apples' approach, as each will have similar slowdowns as a
result ...