Re: grant permissions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From ryan
Subject Re: grant permissions
Date
List pgsql-general
jeff seaman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there an sql command that I can use to grant update/query privledges for
> an entire database  instead of on a table by table basis.

Now this is just off the top of my head, but the general way to do this
is to create a role, grant the role access to whatever objects you're
talking about, then grant the role to indivduals.

Now, postgres does things differently, so instead you create a group,
add users to the group and then grant privlidges on objects to that
group. that way users inherit the privlidges of that group they are
in... you remove them from the group, they lose their privlidges.

Now im not sure which is the superior way, in a way it doesnt matter
since they are functionally equivalent, and i suspect the group
mechanism is more efficient, plus i dont think create role is SQL92
anyways. maybe its sql3? bah, im dont read standards (that often ;-)

Hope this helps.

-ryan

--
Ryan Rawson