Re: pgsql: Add new GUC createrole_self_grant. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Add new GUC createrole_self_grant.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org> writes:
> Add new GUC createrole_self_grant.
> Can be set to the empty string, or to either or both of "set" or
> "inherit". If set to a non-empty value, a non-superuser who creates
> a role (necessarily by relying up the CREATEROLE privilege) will
> grant that role back to themselves with the specified options.

> This isn't a security feature, because the grant that this feature
> triggers can also be performed explicitly.

[ squint ... ]  Are you sure it's not a security *hazard*, though?

It troubles me that we're introducing a command-semantics-altering
GUC at all; we have substantial experience with regretting such
choices.  It troubles me more that the semantics change bears on
security matters, and even more that you've made it USERSET.
That at least opens the door to unprivileged user X causing code
belonging to more-privileged user Y to do something other than
what Y expected.

I'll hold my tongue if you're willing to make it SUSET or higher.

            regards, tom lane