Re: Regression tests failures on Windows Server 2019 - on master at commit # d816f366b - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Regression tests failures on Windows Server 2019 - on master at commit # d816f366b
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I don't really understand why start_postmaster() bothers to wrap postmaster
> start through cmd.exe, particularly when it prevents us from getting
> postmaster's pid. Also the caveats around cmd.exe and sharing mode.

I think the basic idea is to avoid having to write our own code to do
the I/O redirections --- that's certainly why we use a shell on the
Unix side.  But it might well be that biting the bullet and handling
redirection ourselves would be easier than coping with all these
other problems.