Re: func.sgml - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: func.sgml
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom noted:
>> You have to be very careful these days when applying stale patches to
>> func.sgml --- there's enough duplicate boilerplate that "patch' can easily
>> be fooled into dumping an addition into the wrong place.

> This is yet another indication to me that there's probably a good case
> for breaking func.sgml up into sections. It is by a very large margin
> the biggest file in our document sources (the next largest is less than
> half the number of lines).

What are you envisioning ... a file per <sect1>, or something else?

I'm not sure that a split-up would really fix the problem I mentioned;
but at least it'd reduce the scope for things to go into *completely*
the wrong place.

I think to make things safer for "patch", we'd have to give up a lot
of vertical space around function-table entries.  For example,
instead of

      <row>
       <entry role="func_table_entry"><para role="func_signature">
        <indexterm>
         <primary>num_nonnulls</primary>
        </indexterm>
        <returnvalue>integer</returnvalue>
       </para></entry>
      </row>

maybe

        <returnvalue>integer</returnvalue>

In this way, there'd be something at least a little bit unique within
the first couple of lines of an entry, so that the standard amount of
context in a diff would provide some genuine indication of where a
new entry is supposed to go.

The main problem with this formatting is that I'm not sure that
anybody's editors' SGML modes would be on board with it.