Re: varbit type - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Adriaan Joubert
Subject Re: varbit type
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

    Sorry about the delay in getting the bit-code to you -- it has been a
bit busy. Attached is a tar file with the c-code for the bit functions
and an implementation of a user-defined type on these. I hope Thomas is
still prepared to integrate this as a proper type into postgres.

The main difference is that I do not allow binary operations on bit
strings of unequal length anymore (doubt it would have been very relevant
anyway, and this solves a lot of conceptual problems), and I discovered
that the standard requires bit_length and octet_length functions on bit
strings, so I've added those. It runs on linux and alphas.

If anybody has any comments on the code or suggestions for improvements,
please let me know.

Regards,

Adriaan

Attachment