Re: Error when using unquoted identifier that contains the word end in a begin atomic block - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Error when using unquoted identifier that contains the word end in a begin atomic block
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Jonathan Zacharuk <jonathan.zacharuk@ascentech.ca> writes:
> It seems to me that within a BEGIN ATOMIC block the use of the word "end" within an unquoted identifier is causing an
error.

I think your problem is somewhere on the client side.

> -- This function is successfully created (note the quoted "effective_end_date").
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_function_success() RETURNS TIMESTAMP
> LANGUAGE SQL
> BEGIN ATOMIC
>   SELECT DISTINCT "effective_end_date"
>                 FROM test_view;
> END

For me, this works (in psql) with or without the double quotes:

regression=# CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_function_success() RETURNS TIMESTAMP
LANGUAGE SQL
BEGIN ATOMIC
  SELECT DISTINCT "effective_end_date"
                FROM test_view;
END;
CREATE FUNCTION
regression=# CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_function_success() RETURNS TIMESTAMP
LANGUAGE SQL
BEGIN ATOMIC
  SELECT DISTINCT effective_end_date
                FROM test_view;
END;
CREATE FUNCTION

> -- This function fails to be created. I would expect this to work.
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_function_fail() RETURNS TIMESTAMP
> LANGUAGE SQL
> BEGIN ATOMIC
>   SELECT DISTINCT effective_end_date
>                 FROM test_view
> ERROR:  syntax error at end of input
> LINE 6:  FROM test_view
>                        ^

I can't help noticing that the trailing END is missing from what you
show here, and it seems pretty clear that the syntax error is about
that, not about the effective_end_date identifier.  So the real
question is why the CREATE FUNCTION command is getting sent to the
server before it's complete.  If this isn't flat-out pilot error,
then I guess whatever client you are using (apparently not psql) is
getting confused about which occurrence of "end" terminates the
command.  You should take this up with the authors of said
client software.

            regards, tom lane