Re: Foreign key bugs + other problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mike Mascari
Subject Re: Foreign key bugs + other problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck wrote:
> > Maybe we should prevent shadowing of a table that is used as a foreign
> > key.
>
>     And  open  another  DOS  attack  possibility? Each user could
>     potentially create a permanent table of a name used as a temp
>     table somewhere inside of an application. Then create another
>     referencing it and boom - the application goes down. Not that
>     good IMHO.
>
>     I  think  we  need  to hand OID's to the RI triggers and have
>     some special syntax to  tell  the  parser  that  a  table  or
>     attribute is named by OID in the actual query.
>
>     Will  cause  alot  of  headaches for the next pg_dump/restore
>     cycle.
>
>     (Bruce: still waiting for your call)
>
> Jan

Just curious, but couldn't this also be done in the TRUNCATE
TABLE case? Where the consensus was to disallow TRUNCATE TABLE on
a table whose attribute was the foreign key of another relation?
It seems that proper implementation of SCHEMA and a finer
granularity of GRANT/REVOKE is need to address these issues.

Mike Mascari