Re: Distribution making - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: Distribution making
Date
List pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> Is this something that can be 'extended' to do the RPM also? :)

Yes.  Do you want that to happen?  It won't be too hard -- the
requirements would be simply having an 'RPM' directory in the tarball
that would contain the spec file and the required patches and ancilliary
programs.  Then, you simply issue (on a RedHat system :-)) the
appropriate 'rpm -tb' (or 'rpm -ta') command. The binary RPM's will be
built to the usual place, and all is well with the world.

Although the spec file might need to be in the tarball's top-level
directory to work -- I'll have to investigate this.

So, the RPM-building would go like:
download postgresql-$version.tar.gz to %{_topdir}/SOURCES
(in %{_topdir}/SOURCES, execute 'rpm -tb' (or -ta).
Pick up your RPM's in %{_topdir}/RPMS/%{_arch}
Install them with rpm -Uvh.

No sweat.  See, the RPM building process is already highly automated --
once the patches are made, that is.

Although, I must admit -- it would be very nice to not have those
patches.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio