Re: make MaxBackends available in _PG_init - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: make MaxBackends available in _PG_init
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids@gmail.com> writes:
> v3 looks good, but I'm still not sure how to test the bit mentioned above.
> I'm not familiar with this part of the code (SubPostmasterMain etc.), but
> running make check-world with EXEC_BACKEND does not seem to execute that
> code, as I added exit(1) to restore_backend_variables() and the tests still
> ran fine.

You must not have enabled EXEC_BACKEND properly.  It's a compile-time
#define that affects multiple modules, so it's easy to get wrong.
The way I usually turn it on is

    make distclean
    ./configure ... options of choice ...
    edit src/include/pg_config.h, add "#define EXEC_BACKEND" line
    make, install, test

In this way the setting is persistent till the next distclean/configure
cycle.