Re: Strange problem with create table as select * from table; - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Strange problem with create table as select * from table;
Date
List pgsql-general
hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.com> writes:
> checked lengths of the text/varchar columns in database.

> there are 16 such columns in the table.
> full report of lengths is in
> http://www.depesz.com/various/lengths.report.gz

> it was obtained using:
> select length( "first_text_column" ) as length_1, count(*) from etsy_v2.receipts group by 1 order by 1;
> and so on for every text column, and at the end I also made summary of
> sum-of-lengths.

BTW, that probably doesn't prove a lot since it takes no account of
compression, and different values could be compressible to varying
degrees.  It'd be more useful to look at pg_column_size() numbers
to get an idea of whether toasting happened or not.

            regards, tom lane