Re: BUG #15596: Folders created with wrong permissions when installing an extension with a non-default umask - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #15596: Folders created with wrong permissions when installing an extension with a non-default umask
Date
In response to BUG #15596: Folders created with wrong permissions when installing anextension with a non-default umask  (PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org>)
Responses Re: BUG #15596: Folders created with wrong permissions wheninstalling an extension with a non-default umask  (Antoine Amarilli <a3nm.postgresql@a3nm.net>)
List pgsql-bugs
=?utf-8?q?PG_Bug_reporting_form?= <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
> However, the umask of my user is 077, so these "mkdir -p" invocations are
> creating folders that can only be read by root, which is not the intended
> behavior.

So ... don't do that.

> Would it be possible to fix this by redefining MKDIR_P="mkdir -m 0755 -p" in
> pgxs.mk so that the mkdir invocations create the folders with the right
> permissions, in line with the "install" invocations? Thanks!

I think that would be a pretty bad idea, because it would break things
for packagers who have their own ideas about what the directory
permissions ought to be.

You can, of course, enforce your own ideas on the make run with something
like (untested)

    make MKDIR_P="mkdir -m 0755 -p" install

            regards, tom lane