Re: DateStyle (was Re: Per-database/schema settings) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: DateStyle (was Re: Per-database/schema settings)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> 1. Major output mode
> 2. Should month-before-day or day-before-month be *preferred* where
> *applicable*? (It's not "applicable" in any output mode but SQL, and it's
> not "applicable" on input like '99/12/31'. -- I always thought of it as
> "tie-breaker".)

Yes, for input it is a "tie-breaker"; that's how I've thought of it too.

Sure, let's try to break this into two orthogonal attributes. Can you
think of a good name or keyword? "European" and "US" sure isn't saying
things as clearly as "day-before-month" or "month-before-day", but they
are easier to type and make a better shorthand.

Let's find a good syntax for this setting before we go too far...
                 - Thomas