Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Broersma
Subject Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Gauthier, Dave <dave.gauthier@intel.com> wrote:
> How difficult is it to switch the master's hat from one DB instance to another?  Let's say the master in a
master-slavescenario goes down but the slave is fine.  Can I designate the slave as being the new master, use it for
read/write,and then just call the broken master the new slave once it comes back to life (something like that)?

I know someone that uses a revolving Sony Master-Slave setup between
China and the US.  During the US working hour the US server is the
master, during the working hours of China it becomes the Master.

Of course the person how constructed this system mentioned it was
woefully challenging.  In his case, not only was the slony
configuration difficult but also finding and keeping stable
communication path-ways between China and the US.

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug