Re: Partioning in postgres - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Richard Broersma
Subject Re: Partioning in postgres
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Bhella
Paramjeet-PFCW67<PBhella@motorola.com> wrote:

> We're trying to simulate rolling window concept in postgres with partitions, without impacting application which does
concurrentinserts into partitioned tables. We basically need to roll off data from older partition say 7 days older
justto avoid the overhead from delete/vacuum etc, and keep adding future day partitions. Seems like adding rules on the
flyfor future day partitions blocks rows from being inserted into current day partition.

> Anyone implemented similar concept in postgres.

I'm not an expert on this, but I will tell you what I know.  From what
I understand, partitioned tables and associated triggers are created
for date ranges ahead of time (before the date when the partition data
come into existence).  Table creation is handled through CRON jobs and
scripts.

The following archived thread illustrates what one person did to
develop automatic creation of table partitions:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2009-04/msg01077.php

The above mentioned email may give you a workable solution.
--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug