Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tim Perdue
Subject Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres
Date
Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres  (Benjamin Adida <ben@mit.edu>)
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> You mentioned a speed difference in Postgres vs MySQL. The anecdotal
> reports are quite often in this direction, but we typically see
> comparable or better performance with Postgres when we actually look at
> the app or benchmark. Would it be possible to see the test case and to
> reproduce it here?

Finally a sensible reply from one of the core guys.

http://www.perdue.net/benchmarks.tar.gz

To switch between postgres and mysql, copy postgres.php to database.php,
change the line of SQL with the LIMIT statement in forum.php.

To move to mysql, copy mysql.php to database.php and change the line of
SQL in forum.php

No bitching about the "bad design" of the forum using recursion to show
submessages. It can be done in memory in PHP, but I chose to hit the
database instead. This page is a good example of one that hits the
database hard. It's one of the worst on our site.

At any rate, I wish someone would write an article that explains what
the benefits of transactions are, and how to use them effectively in a
web app, skipping the religious fervor surrounding pgsql vs. myql.
There's a lot of people visiting PHPBuilder who just want to expand
their knowledge of web development, and many of them would find that
interesting.

Tim

--
Founder - PHPBuilder.com / Geocrawler.com
Lead Developer - SourceForge