Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tim Perdue wrote:

> Benjamin Adida wrote:
>
> ...useless rant about all MySQL users being stupid inept programmers
> deleted....
>
> > PHP folks have a bias, too: PHP was built with MySQL in mind, it even ships
> > with MySQL drivers (and not Postgres). PHP's mediocre connection pooling
> > limits Postgres performance.
>
> Well the point of this article is obviously in relation to PHP. Yes,
> Rasmus Lerdorf himself uses MySQL and I'm sure Jan would say he's a
> "wannabee", not a "real developer".

Rather he is probably a _web_ developer and not a _database_ developer, as
most developers with DB background abhor lack of transactions, as you have
surely noticed by now, and would not use MySQL fro R/W access ;)

> Yes I'm sure that PHP was designed to make Postgres look bad. All
> benchmarks are designed to make postgres look bad. All web designers
> build everything in just that special way that makes postgres look bad,
> and they all do it because they're inept and stupid,

Or just irresponsible.

That's how most websites grow -at first no writes - MySQL is great (a filesystem with SQL interface
performance-wize)then some writes in real time, when popularity grows bad things start to
happen.then delayed writes a la Slashdot to keep the performance and integrity of
database.

> unlike the small crowd of postgres users.

That could be part of the problem ;)

SQL is a complex beast and a programmer experienced in procedural languages
takes some time to learn to use it effectively. Until then he just tries to
use his C/Pascal/java/whatever knowledge and simple selects - and this is
where MySQL excels.

Hannu