Re: Lock rekord - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Herbert Liechti
Subject Re: Lock rekord
Date
List pgsql-general
"Pawe³ Dubin" wrote:

> List z dnia:  Sat, 17 Jun 2000,  :
> > > I usually prefer the following trick for preventing long locking
> > > times. On every
> > > table I define a timestamp field which is updated every time the record is
> > > written to the database. If a user edits a record (without
> > > locking) and commit his changes
> > > the timestamp is returned from the client program unchanged. The program
> > > reads the record again for update and compares the timestamp from
> > > the database
> > > and the timestamp from the user program.  If the timestamp has changed
> > > in the meantime the record was updated from someone else and the
> > > transaction will be rejected.
>
> and all the work done by the user (filling long form) gone out

Yes, but how often this really occurs?  You may handle this case in your
application i.e. by showing the differences between the record in the
database and the changes submitted by the user. I made very good
experience in the past 10 years with this system even in big applications
where a large number of users were using the database
concurrently.

> > What happens if someone else updates the record *just* after the record is
> > reread for update and timestamp compared?

If you reread the record for updating nobody else should be able to
update the record. The record is locked. The method I suggested is
a way to keep the locking times as short as possible.

> It's ok. I do the same.
> 1. Update lock field for marked to transaction (everyone else need to know It
> is locked)

And what happens if a user is closing his browser i.e. in a web application?
What are you doing with the record marked as locked?

Regards Herbie

Herbert Liechti                     E-Mail: Herbert.Liechti@thinx.ch
ThinX networked business services        Stahlrain 10, CH-5200 Brugg