Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bernd Helmle
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle
Date
List pgsql-hackers
--On Samstag, Januar 24, 2009 14:17:58 -0500 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
wrote:

> ON UPDATE DO INSTEAD
>   UPDATE base_table SET base_col_1 = new.derived_col_1, base_col_2 ...
>   WHERE CURRENT OF VIEW;
>
> and the rewriter would interpret this appropriately.  You'd end up with
> essentially the same results as with the other syntax, but there is more
> flexibility here to omit columns, store results computed from columns,
> etc.

I like this idea more than Plan A or B, since it's much closer to the
current rule syntax. What i'm missing is some notion about CHECK OPTION. We
surely want to support that in way.

--  Thanks
                   Bernd