Re: Re: Hack to make postgres compile on Dec 4.0f with GCC - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Adriaan Joubert
Subject Re: Re: Hack to make postgres compile on Dec 4.0f with GCC
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Can someone make a suggestion here?
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > Here is a patch I hacked together. I didn't understand the TAS thing, and
> > it appeared to be the cause of the problem. I hacked the code up by
> > commenting out the assembly TAS provided and inserting the semaphore
> > macros for the non-gcc alpha version. Perhaps someone with expertise in
> > this area could assist in fixing the provided TAS.

Yep, Arrigo looked at the TAS code for Alpha-Linux (it is commented out for
DEC Unix) and came to the conclusion that it probably only worked on specific
configurations and definitely not on multi-processor machines. He has been
trying to write the code himself, but it turns out to be extraordinarily hard
to get this working properly on Alpha (espec. multi-processor machines). I
believe he is currently trying to interest somebody in Digital in this
problem. Until a proper solution has been found, it is probably safer to just
stick to the semaphores.

Adriaan