Re: Solaris compile problem - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Karl DeBisschop
Subject Re: Solaris compile problem
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane wrote:

> Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop@h00a0cc3b7988.ne.mediaone.net> writes:
> >> Can you say if libpq++ *ever* built on that platform?  I'm guessing
> >> that Solaris needs the same sort of hack that is present in libpq++'s
> >> Makefile for irix5, ie set AR and LD to $(CXX).  But if I'm right
> >> then it'd never have worked...
>
> > it did work in 6.4.2
>
> OK, that's a useful datapoint.
>
> > and ld does work in other parts of the make - it only fails in this one
> > place.
>
> Sure.  I think the problem likely is that the stock "ld" on Solaris only
> copes with C object files and not C++ object files.  This only shows up
> for libpq++ because we have no other C++ code in the distribution.
>
> However, as far as I can tell from a quick scan through the CVS server,
> 6.4.* should've tried to use "ld" for libpq++ too.  Could you rebuild
> 6.4.2 and see what the difference is in the build commands it uses?
>
>                         regards, tom lane

downloaded the source and rebuilt.  make died at the same place.  Yet
the old install does have libpq++ in place.

6.4.2 was orignally compiled by another developer here.  So I don't know
if he had the same problem and used the same hack to get past it, or if
there was a difference in his environment settings (or something has
been upgraded in between times - it seems we may have been on Solaris 6
when 6.4.2 was last compiled, for instance)

I'll talk to the developer when he gets in, but this tack may be a dead
end.

--
Karl