does vacuum reclaim unused space from an index ??? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From g.p.ciceri
Subject does vacuum reclaim unused space from an index ???
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,
I've a small table (3000 rows) that it's UPDATEd very frequently.

create table myTable(theKey char(6) primary key, theMsg varchar(256));

Of course pgSQL does create an index on theKey, to give
me referential integrity: it seems to me that when I do
a vacuum to reclaim unused space and to speed-up the
usage of the table, the index file size is unchanged,
and so it's getting slower the update process.

Anyone may confirm me this is the default behaviour ???

TIA
/gp

--
Discussion: How do you feel about Open Source firms making
millions through public offerings?

"I wish these companies were making the same millions without
distributing any non-free, user-subjugating software." --
                                             Richard Stallman

  Gian Paolo Ciceri        Via B.Diotti 45 - 20153 Milano MI ITALY
                           eMail  :   gp.ciceri@acm.org
                           webSite:   http://www.tialabs.com

Attachment