Re: Applying TOAST to CURRENT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Applying TOAST to CURRENT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Tue, 30 May 2000, Hannu Krosing wrote:
>
> > The only drawback is bloating directories, but it was already suggested
> > that
> > TOAST tables could/should be kept in subdirectory toast (as should
> > too, imho).
>
> still say, simplest "fix":
>
>         <dbname>/{system,db,toast,index}

Why can't we just add a column named "tablepath" to pg_table, that can
either be
a simple filename, or relative path with a filename or even full path
(if we don't worry too much for security ;)

That has came up before when discussing ways to make rename table
rollbackable
but it could be handy here two.

AFAIK it has been a general principle in programming to keep separate
things
separate unless a very good reason not to do so is present.

Hannu