[Fwd: 97BA-B931-B61D : CONSULT from pgsql-hackers-oo (post) (fwd)] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chris Bitmead
Subject [Fwd: 97BA-B931-B61D : CONSULT from pgsql-hackers-oo (post) (fwd)]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
It seems like backward thinking to me. If you have to use UNDER with OF,
that means you're defining a type which includes the attributes of the
UNDER class as well as that of the OF class, and adding your own
attributes too. A brain dead form of multiple inheritance? I don't know
what they were thinking here.
Stephan Szabo wrote:>> I'd say so, yes.  The OF <user-defined type> doesn't appear to be
optional> in> that part of the rule.>> > Do people interpret this syntax to mean that you can only have an
UNDER> > clause when using the OF <user-defined type> clause as well?> >> >> >          <table definition> ::=> >
>              | OF <user-defined type>> >                   [ <subtable clause> ]> >                   [ <table
elementlist> ]> >       <subtable clause> ::=> >               UNDER <supertable clause>