How do you rebind/reexecute a query without reparsing it? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Barry Lind
Subject How do you rebind/reexecute a query without reparsing it?
Date
List pgsql-general
I come from an Oracle background and am used to being able to parse a
query once and then rebind and reexecute that same query multiple
times.  This can have huge performance benefits for frequently used
queries within an application.

I am new to PostgreSQL, and am trying to figure out how to do the same
here.  Specifically from the JDBC client interface.  The JDBC interface
allows for rebinding and reexecuting, but the implementation seems to
rebuild the query every time and sends the new query string to the
server to have it reparse.

In digging a little deeper, I don't think that the Front End/Back End
protocol can support this type of functionality.

Is there anyway I can avoid the overhead of reparsing the statements
when all I want to do is rebind/reexecute the same statements over and
over again?  (Again I need this from the JDBC interface)

thanks,
--Barry