Re: 7.0 psql, readline and history. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeffery Collins
Subject Re: 7.0 psql, readline and history.
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:

> Jeffery Collins <collins@onyx-technologies.com> writes:
> > It *appears* to me that 7.0 requires readline version 4.1 in order for
> > the readline history features to work, whereas 6.5.3 was happy with an
> > earlier version.  When I updated my version of readline, the readline
> > history functions started working.
>
> We had realized that the new code didn't work with some older versions
> of libreadline, but we thought we'd fixed the configure test to tell
> the difference.  Were you seeing that configure thought it found
> readline support and then it didn't work?
>
>                         regards, tom lane

Yes, this is what confused me for a while.  Configure found readline.h,
readline/readline.h and -lreadline, but it didn't find readline/history.h.
So readline was configured and actually used (I walked through
src/bin/psql/input.c to make sure), but the history features were not being
used.  So I could edit the current line, but I couldn't go backwards in
history.  Evidently the version of readline that I had installed didn't
contain a history.h file (although it did find the using_history entry
point in the library), and this caused configure to disable the history
features?

Jeff