Detecting presence of database through JDBC? - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Steve Wampler
Subject Detecting presence of database through JDBC?
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Is there a way to determine whether or not a particular database
exists programmatically throught JDBC?  I was expecting an
exception to be thrown if the DriverManager.getConnection(url, user, pwd)
method cannot complete, but instead I get a "FATAL" error that
doesn't seem to be catchable.

(I'd like the program to automatically create a database if it doesn't
yet exist and then populate it with the tables that are needed.  Handling
the tables is easy, but I haven't found a way around the test for the
database yet...)

Thanks for any help!
Steve
--
Steve Wampler-  SOLIS Project, National Solar Observatory
swampler@noao.edu