Re: Dumping and reloading stuff in 6.5.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Dumping and reloading stuff in 6.5.3
Date
List pgsql-general
Lincoln Yeoh wrote:

> Actually, say if I use postgresql on a journalling file system, would this
> problem go away? e.g. I just lose data not written, but the database will
> be at a known uncorrupted state, consistent with logs.

Hmm, someone may have to correct me on this but last time I checked all
the
journalling filesystems currently available journalled *filesystem*
*metadata*. IOW, after a crash, the filesystem structure will be intact,
but your database maybe completely corrupt.

Anyway, how does the filesystem driver know what is a consistant state
for the database? For that postgres would have to do it's own
journalling,
right?
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@cupid.suninternet.com>