Re: Cast of numeric() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: Cast of numeric()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> OK, this is making me rethink my suggestion in the book of using type()
> to do typecasts.  Seems I should recommend CAST (val AS type), as wordy
> as it is, or maybe val::type?

CAST(val AS type) is defined in SQL92. istm that the others are
available at the whim of our current implementation, since when push
comes to shove we might have to choose between having one of our
non-standard mechanisms or having some other new features.

An example is SQL3 enumerated types, which use the double-colon
notation, but with value and type reversed from our syntax :(
                    - Thomas

South Pasadena, California