Eternal vacuuming.... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tim Perdue
Subject Eternal vacuuming....
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I checked the changelog for 7.0 and it doesn't look like this is fixed
yet.

In 6.4.x and 6.5.x if you delete a large number of rows (say 100,000 -
1,000,000) then hit vacuum, the vacuum will run literally forever.

If you drop the indexes on the table, vacuuming takes only minutes, but
that's a pain in the neck.

This problem kept my site down for some 12 HOURS last nite:

24244 ?        S      0:00 psql db_gotocity
24245 ?        R    951:34 /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres localhost tim
db_gotocity

...before I finally killed the vacuum process, manually removed the
pg_vlock, dropped the indexes, then vacuumed again, and re-indexed.

Will this be fixed?

Tim

--
Founder - PHPBuilder.com / Geocrawler.com
Lead Developer - SourceForge