Re: misc questions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: misc questions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > 2: Have any of y'all ever seeen this error
> > ""transformExpr: does not know how to transform node 501 (internal error)"
> > from statement:
> > "SELECT DISTINCT ss.stateID, ss.stateValue FROM State ss INNER JOIN Standard
> > st ON ss.stateID = st.stateID"
>
> (which behavior is in fact duplicated in the join regress test!) and
> find that it looks like it would work, except that there is confusion in
> the parser about whether pstate->p_join_quals is a list of expressions
> or just an expression.
>
> As far as I can see, there is no need for it to be a list, so we have
> a choice of fixing it either by consistently making it be a list, or
> consistently making it *not* be a list.  I'd lean to the latter on
> grounds of simplicity, but I wonder whether you intended it to be
> a list because you were looking forward to some currently-unimplemented
> feature that does need it to be a list.

I'm not recalling anything requiring a list here. Lists are floating
around for other cases (e.g. the USING clause). Not sure why this
wasn't caught in the regression test earlier (but clearly it was
because I didn't spot it :(

I'd be inclined to go with the non-list, simplest solution; we know
where to look if it needs to be augmented later.
                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California