Re: 7.0 RPM? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: 7.0 RPM?
Date
List pgsql-general
> > 7.0RC5 is database-compatible with the final, earlier betas are *not*.
> > You can use pg_upgrade to update from any 6.5-or-later version if you
> > are feeling adventurous, but I'd definitely suggest making a backup
> > first in case things go wrong and you have to initdb and restore.
> Sorry if I was not clear.  The RPMs I prepared use Lamar Owen spec from RC1,
> but use final release sources.  Upgrading from final release to final release
> should not be a problem, I think.  I only recommended it because I understand
> from his recent posts sthat Lamar has many inprovements to the RPM install
> script that I have not taken advantage of.

Tom's point is that RC5 is *not* database-compatible with previous
release candidates due to a last minute bug fix in the location of
group table indices.

So anything earlier than RC5 needs (at least) a pg_upgrade, and (for
me) preferably a full dump/initdb/restore cycle.

                        - Thomas

South Pasadena, California