Re: gcc 13 warnings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: gcc 13 warnings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2023-03-16 12:10:27 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> It wouldn't be entirely surprising if meson is selecting some -W
>> switches that the configure script doesn't ... but I don't know
>> where to check or change that.

> I think it's just that meson defaults to -O3 (fwiw, I see substantial gains of
> that over -O2).  I see such warnings with autoconf as well if I make it use
> -O3.

Oh, interesting.  Should we try to standardize the two build systems
on the same -O level, and if so which one?

To my mind, you should ideally get the identical built bits out of
either system, so defaulting to a different -O level seems bad.
I'm not sure if we're prepared to go to -O3 by default though,
especially for some of the older buildfarm critters where that
might be buggy.  (I'd imagine you take a hit in gdb-ability too.)