Re: Backward compat issue with v16 around ROLEs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Backward compat issue with v16 around ROLEs
Date
List pgsql-general
Dominique Devienne <ddevienne@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi. I'm going around in circles trying to solve an issue with our
> system when running against a PostgreSQL v16 server. Which is linked
> to the weakening of CREATEROLE to have more granular permissions.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the relevant v16 change is that
CREATEROLE used to imply having ADMIN on every (non-superuser) role.
Now it doesn't, and you have to actually have a WITH ADMIN OPTION
grant.  You do automatically get WITH ADMIN OPTION on roles you
create yourself --- but in this example, dd_owner did not create
dd_admin.

            regards, tom lane