Re: Oversight in slab.c SlabContextCreate(), initial memory allocation size is not populated to context->mem_allocated - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Oversight in slab.c SlabContextCreate(), initial memory allocation size is not populated to context->mem_allocated
Date
In response to Re: Oversight in slab.c SlabContextCreate(), initial memory allocation size is not populated to context->mem_allocated  (Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> writes:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 12:43:45PM -0400, Reid Thompson wrote:
>> slab.c
>> does not in SlabContextCreate(). Is this intentional, it seems to be an
>> oversight to me.

> IIUC this is because the header is tracked separately from the first
> regular block, unlike aset.c.

That doesn't make it not an oversight, though.  It looks like aset.c
thinks that mem_allocated includes all the context's overhead, whereas
this implementation doesn't seem to have that result.  The comments
associated with mem_allocated are sufficiently vague that it's impossible
to tell which implementation is correct.  Maybe we don't really care,
but ...