Re: C function linkage and testing - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: C function linkage and testing
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Andrew Gold <agold@cbamedia.com> writes:
> I'm writing a number of C SQL-extension functions and it occurred to me
> that I might need to debug these things as some point. If I want to
> create my own main () function to exercise my extensions, what Postgres
> libraries do I need to link against?

There are no libraries for backend internal functions, and I doubt that
it would make any sense to provide such.  (By the time you got done
duplicating the behavior of palloc and elog, you'd have a mini-backend
anyway --- you'd certainly not have a "library" that could be plugged
into any random main program.)

Usually people who want to debug such stuff just attach to a running
backend with a debugger, and debug the code in the live environment.
        regards, tom lane