'on insert' rules and defaults - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Hollomon
Subject 'on insert' rules and defaults
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Playing around with rules and views, I noticed the
following:

CREATE TABLE t ( i INTEGER,b BOOLEAN DEFAULT false
);

CREATE VIEW v ASSELECT * FROM t;

CREATE RULE v_insert ASON INSERT TO v DO INSTEADINSERT INTO t values ( NEW.i, NEW.b);

mhh=# insert into v values ( 1 );
INSERT 50199 1
mhh=# select * from v;i | b
---+---1 |
(1 row)

In other words, the default is not honored. Is there a way to
write the rule so that default on 'b' is honored?

I found the following to work. But the combinatorial explosion
for multiple fields is a killer.

CREATE RULE v_insert_null ASON INSERT TO v WHERE NEW.b IS NULL DO INSTEADINSERT INTO t values (NEW.i);
CREATE RULE v_insert_not_null ASON INSERT TO v WHERE NEW.b IS NOT NULL DO INSTEADINSERT INTO t values (NEW.i, NEW.b);

I also thought about COALESCE:

CREATE RULE v_insert ASON INSERT TO v DO INSTEADINSERT INTO t values (NEW.i, COALESCE(NEW.b, false));

But then two places have to know about the default value.

Any other suggestions?

--

Mark Hollomon
mhh@nortelnetworks.com