Advice about -B n_buffers option - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Robert Williams
Subject Advice about -B n_buffers option
Date
List pgsql-admin
I have a postmaster process that is crashing periodically.
I haven't turned on debugging yet, but I suspect the
number of buffers may be low (its 64).
Does anyone have some general observations about
the importance of having more buffers?

      -B n_buffers
           n_buffers is the number of shared-memory buffers  for
           the postmaster to allocate and manage for the backend
           server processes that it starts.  This value defaults
           to 64, and each buffer is 8k bytes.

as in "postmaster -D /usr/local/var/Postgresql -B 128"

--
Bob Williams, http://bob.usuhs.mil/
office: 301-295-3568