Re: PG_VERSION Errors??? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: PG_VERSION Errors???
Date
List pgsql-admin
"Glerum, Joe - KyEM" wrote:
>         Database system in directory /usr/local/pgsql/data is not compatable
> with this version of Postgres, or we are unable to read the PG_VERSION file.
> Explanation from the ValidatePgVersion: Version number in file
> '/usr/local/pgsql/data/PG_VERSION' should be 6.5, not 6.4.

> When I change the 6.4 to 6.5 and restart the postmaster I can't do so with
> errors to change it back to 6.4.

Did you do a dump/initdb/restore cycle?  For a major version upgrade
(such s 6.4.2 to 6.5.3), you must first dump your old database using
pg_dumpall, clear out the database directory, initdb with the new
version, then restore using 'psql -e template1 <dumped-data-file'.

By the error message you gave, I'm assuming you are using the standard,
non-RPM distribution.  The RPM distribution since 6.5.1 or so has
included a set of tools to make the migration easier.  Upon an upgrade
of the RPM's, a copy of the old executables is saved; also, a
postgresql-dump utility is provided to use the old executables to make a
dump.  Then, the new version can be started up.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio