Re: doing backups - Mailing list pgsql-general

From brad
Subject Re: doing backups
Date
List pgsql-general
NO!!!!

You don't want to give ANY account root access or root level security!

I run my backups FROM root using cron, but root can su to any account
that it likes!

I have some ksh code tucked away that will be easy to convert to bash
that will run commands as a particular user and will check their return
codes, etc.

In fact, I would be very interested in co-developing a solution provided
that it would be OpenSourced as, at the the moment, we have backup
script that do pg_dumps from the individual user accts.

Another thing to consider is backing up the directories that the
database are stored in.

For that matter, I am currently thinking a lot about fail-over between
more than one server at a database level (yes, that dreaded database
replication!!!!).
This would seem an essential next step for PostgreSQL and would
certainly throw it into a very much bigger league!

Bradley Kieser
Director
Kieser.net