Re: [GENERAL] User authentication problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guillermo Iglesias
Subject Re: [GENERAL] User authentication problem
Date
List pgsql-general
> > Guillermo Iglesias wrote:
> >   >I have a database in a PC with linux and I try to connect from other PC with
>
> >   >linux too, when I try to do a query from command line with psql and the -u
> >   >option :
> >   >
> >   >    psql -d obrascop -c "select * from obras" -hpedidos -u
> >   >
> >   >I get the following error if i suply an user that exists in /etc/passwd
> >   >
> >   >    Connection to database 'obrascop' failed.
> >   >    Password authentication failed for user 'postgres'
> >   >
> >   >But if i connect with an user that only exists in PostgreSQL it works
> >   >Can someone tell me why
> >   >
> >   >I have the following line in pg_hba.conf
> >   >    host         all         192.168.0.15  255.255.255.255   password
> >   >where 192.168.0.15  is the host from which I try to connect.
>
> > Oliver Elphick wrote:
>
> > PostgreSQL password authentication has nothing to do with /etc/passwd.
> >
> > The only users who can access PostgreSQL are those known to it
> > (listed in pg_shadow).  These usernames bear no necessary connection
> > with names in /etc/passwd.

I know that the only  users who can access PostgreSQL are those known to it
(listed in pg_shadow) and when psql ask me to enter an username I supply one
existing in pg_shadow as 'postgres' but if the user is present in /etc/passwd too,
then I get the error. This error doesn't appear when I write an username that
doesn't exist in /etc/passwd

Thanks
Guillermo