Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL accessing a M$ Access DB? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Mascari
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL accessing a M$ Access DB?
Date
List pgsql-general
Francis K Shim wrote:

> Has anyone successfully accessed a M$ Access DB from PostgreSQL using ODBC or
> any other means?  I have PostgreSQL running with postmaster on a Linux x86 box
> networked to a Windows95 x86 box that has both a Jet database (*.mdb that can be
> accessed using M$ACCESS version 2.0) and another Jet database (*.mdb that can
> be accessed using Access97).  I am assuming that the former uses 16-bit access
> while the latter uses 32-bit access.  Anyway, I am searching for a solution
> that can allow access to these *.mdb databases from the Linux box.
>
> I have a copy of the PostODBC from Insight on the Windows95 box and I am
> thinking of having iODBC on my Linux box to use ODBC across the network;
> however, I wanted to check with anyone, if there may be an easier way.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA,
> Frank

The PostgreSQL ODBC driver from Insight will allow direct access
to PostgreSQL from the client machine (Win95), assuming your
starting the postmaster with the -i option (for TCP/IP
connectivity) on port 5432. You can import/export/link tables
to/from Access 97 without the need for having iODBC on the Linux
server. The PostgreSQL ODBC driver from Insight is a 32-bit
driver and works nicely with Access 97. I am unaware of any
16-bit ODBC drivers for use with Access 2, though.

For what its worth,

Mike Mascari