Re: open pgsql files (was Re: [GENERAL] Mime-Version: 1.0) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ed Loehr
Subject Re: open pgsql files (was Re: [GENERAL] Mime-Version: 1.0)
Date
List pgsql-general
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > At 03:28 PM 21-02-2000 -0600, Ed Loehr wrote:
> >
> > >Your numbers do not surprise me at all.  Backend pgsql servers live
> > >for the lifetime of the client connection, and they open a similarly
> > >large number of files on my system.  I throttle them by throttling the
> > >life of the apache children who are generally the only clients.
> >
> > But doesn't the backend close the files after it's done with em? Or it
> > doesn't know when it's done with the files?
> >
> Keeps files open in the expectation it may need them again.

I assumed so.  "It would be nice" if one could constrain the open file
consumption of the backends directly in the same manner as sort
buffersizes, etc (i.e., setting a maximum number of files to open).
Some sort of LRU cache on file handles, maybe...worthy of a todo item?

Cheers,
Ed Loehr