Re: [HACKERS] Most Advanced - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Most Advanced
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Actually, I think you might be looking at this wrong ... figure that Corel
> > is putting resources into making WINE a viable "engine" to running
> > Micro$loth applications ... WINE is open source.
> >
> > Now, which is better/easier?  Re-code Wordperfect Office (one app) to run
> > natively, or improve an open source application so that Linux/Unix can run
> > any existing Micro$loth product?  Which is cheaper in the long run?
> >
> > If they were starting WordPerfect from scratch, okay ... but how many
> > hundreds of thousands of lines of Windoze specific code is in
> > WP-Office? :)
>
> I have never been very confident about emulation of any form.  Also, if
> Corel has Inprise and Corel Linux, you would think it would be worth
> making the port to a _real_ operating system.

AFAIIC they are just using WINE as their cross-platform toolkit, same as
Mozilla
does with theirs XPCOM (or whatever it's called;).
I don't see any of the GUI toolkits as basically better than others (though I
have used lately wxPython).
And cross-platform is important nowadays - even in my small company there are
developers using Linux,BeOS,Win32 and Macs and it is counterproductive if we
have to use some important tool that isnt available for some platform or can't
be run remotely (over http/html or X11)

Hannu