Re: [GENERAL] Re:PostgreSQL and PHP - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ed Loehr
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Re:PostgreSQL and PHP
Date
List pgsql-general
sheila bel wrote:
> > > but I'm having a problem when I want to insert data into
> > > a table that has type serial in it.
> > >
> > > agency(id serial, agency_name text, street_addr text, ...)
> > >
> > > $result = pg_Exec($conn, "INSERT INTO agency VALUES
> > > ('nextval(\'agency_agencyid_seq\'),','$agency_name','$street_addr')");
> > >
> > > Warning: PostgresSQL query failed: ERROR: Cannot insert a duplicate key
> >into
> > > a unique index in
> > > /home/httpd/html/tests/T2.php3 on line 57
> >
> >2)  The name of your sequence looks fishy.  I thought it would've been
> >named 'agency_id_seq' if it came from a serial...
>
> *****> Sorry I didn't type the table correctly, it is :
> agency(agency_id serial,....) thats why i get the fishy sequence name.

Still fishy.  Looks like you must have used 'agencyid'? (no
underscore)

> >% psql -d emsdb -c "create table agency(id serial, agency_name text,
> >street_addr text)"
> >NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence 'agency_id_seq'
> >for SERIAL column 'agency.id'
> >
> >3)  ...you really don't need to specify the serial column...
> >
> >insert into agency (agency_name, street_addr) values ('MyAgency1', 'MyAddr1')
> >insert into agency (agency_name, street_addr) values ('MyAgency2', 'MyAddr2')
> >
> >% psql -d emsdb -c "select * from agency"
> >id|agency_name|street_addr
> >--+-----------+-----------
> >  1|MyAgency1  |MyAddr1
> >  2|MyAgency2  |MyAddr2
> >(2 rows)
>
> *****> Well, I did try doing this but for some reason its expecting
> a value for the agency_id and I get an error message. Maybe it has
> something to do with PHP ?

Could be.  Might also come from not naming the insert columns, which
breaks miserably if you add new columns with default values in the
future...

    insert into agency values ('MyAgency2', 'MyAddr2')"
vs.
    insert into agency (agency_name, street_addr) values ('MyAgency2',
'MyAddr2')"

> by the way what does the -d emsdb -c mean ?

% man psql

Cheers,
Ed Loehr