Can you dereference an OID? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Can you dereference an OID?
Date
List pgsql-general
I've checked the source, looked through various mailing
lists, etc. Considering that PostgreSQL is (at least partially)
an ORDBMS I would have thought it would be possible but I
can't see it.

Any ideas?

The other thing I wanted to ask is how to find which table/class
an oid is from but that has already been discussed on this list.
I agree with the classname idea is good.

Finally, is there a way around the scanner? I have a set of data
that needs to go into the database so I need to INSERT or UPDATE.
However, this data may contain quotes, backslashes, etc. Is there
a way of simply say "here is the literal data, no manipulation
required". Maybe as %length[literal data of given length].

Please CC any replies. It makes is easier to find them.

Martijn