Re: Database broken after using pgadmin 'backup' on OSX - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Database broken after using pgadmin 'backup' on OSX
Date
List pgadmin-support

> On 29 Jun 2017, at 21:06, Conor McNally <theconor@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone help with the following problem?
>
> Since upgrading to pgAdmin 4 v1.5 on macOS Sierra (v10.12.5), it seems my database is 'broken' every time I use the
pgAdmin'Backup' tool.

> Here's what happens:
> * macOS Sierra v10.12.5
> * postgres 9.6.2 locally installed with brew
> * pgAdmin 4 v1.5 installed directly from website
> * database is running fine
> * use the pgAdmin Tools / Backup... utility to take a full back-up
> * database is no longer working
>
> By 'no longer working' it means that the postrges libraries have been messed up and I get the following error when I
tryto connect via pyscopg2 (python v3.5.2_3, pyscopg2 v2.6.2):

>   File "/Users/conor/virt_env/conor/lib/python3.5/site-packages/psycopg2/extras.py", line 288, in execute
>     return super(NamedTupleCursor, self).execute(query, vars)
> psycopg2.InternalError: could not load library "/usr/local/lib/postgresql/plpgsql.so":
dlopen(/usr/local/lib/postgresql/plpgsql.so,10): Symbol not found: _DatumIsReadWriteExpandedObject
>   Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/postgresql/plpgsql.so
>   Expected in: /usr/local/opt/postgresql/bin/postgres
>  in /usr/local/lib/postgresql/plpgsql.so
>

> I find the only way to fix the problem is to run "brew switch postgresql 9.6.2".  I don't really know what that
commanddoes but the database connections are OK after I run it.  Also, the database backup file has been created
successfullyas far as I can tell: I have not yet attempted to restore it.  One other thing is I don't get a
confirmationmessage in the pgAdmin console the way I used to.

> Can anybody help with the above problem?  It has only started happening since I upgraded to pgAdmin 4 v1.5.  Before
that(with pgAdmin 4 v1.4) everything was fine.

pgAdmin uses it's own private virtual environment (including libpq and friends). I honestly don't see how it could
affectthe system Python, let alone a virtual envy from a completely different version.