Re: [HACKERS] Re: [SQL] Proposed Changes to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chris
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [SQL] Proposed Changes to PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Maybe SELECT ** FROM BASE would be more flexible as it leaves the standard
> SQL with its "standard" meaning ?

That was my first thought and it's definitely a possibility. My argument
against it is that SQL doesn't have a "standard meaning" in the case of
inheritance, and ** is an incompatibility with OQL.

I suspect we need both. Something like
SET GET_INHERITED_COLUMNS true; etc.
> We will have to change the API sometime not too distant anyway, the current
> api is unable to deal with anything that does not have a nice textual
> representation (like an image or sound) in spite of all the talks about
> easy extensibility - the extensibility is all in the backend, ther is no
> easy way to get new datatypes in/out.

What about PQbinaryTuples() and friends?