Re: CheckpointLock needed in CreateCheckPoint()? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: CheckpointLock needed in CreateCheckPoint()?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Here's a patch to remove CheckpointLock completely.  ...
> So I don't see any problem with just ripping this out entirely, but
> I'd like to know if anybody else does.

If memory serves, the reason for the lock was that the CHECKPOINT
command used to run the checkpointing code directly in the calling
backend, so we needed it to keep more than one process from doing
that at once.  AFAICS, it's no longer possible for more than one
process to try to run that code concurrently, so we shouldn't need
the lock anymore.