Re: [HACKERS] Well, then you keep your darn columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Well, then you keep your darn columns
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Don Baccus wrote:

> At 11:52 PM 1/24/00 +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:
>
> >But the decision was (from Vadim IIRC) to drop them, at least in non system
> >tables.
> >The cited reasons were:
> >* crappy implementation that taxed performance (probably fixed by now)
> >* nobody else seemed to have them and the push then was to the direction of
> >  mainstream bean-counting DB with main objective of getting that base
> >  functionality right.
>
> Regarding this last, Oracle has an equivalent - rowid.   In the web
> toolkit I'm helping port, it's used somewhat often, and having oid
> available has been a convenience.

My impression was thet Oracles ROWID is more like our TID - i.e. not a very
stable thing. I may be wrong of course, as last time I used oracle seriously
was more than 3 years ago.

> Having said that, its use in this toolkit's could be replaced by
> simply creating a sequence and numbering rows by hand.

Or using 'default nextid()' which seems to be the recommended and portable (?)
way.

Hannu